Run flat tyres (RF tyres) have a unique capability: they can keep on rolling even if there is a puncture. This technology was first identified and patented in the early 1930’s when the Second World War’s threat loomed large. However, today, RFT tyres are available commercially worldwide, serving a much more peaceful and specific niche.
We at MG Auto Motorsport Ltd in Ripley, Nottinghamshire, specialise in the repairs, replacements, and sales of run-flat tyres of several tyre brands.
The technology behind run flat tyres - In brief
Run-flat tyres are remarkably different from other standard car tyres. Essentially, three different technologies form the hierarchical basis of RFT tyres. The first one, introduced in 1934 by Michelin, was advertised as a “semi bullet-proof” tyre. It was not commercially viable and was mainly used by armoured vehicles. This technology, although had an internal safety rim, is now considered outdated.
Two more recent RFT approaches now dominate the market essentially known as the self-sealing and the auxiliary supported technologies and our experts at MG Auto Motorsport Ltd in Ripley possesses expertise in both domains.
While the self-sealing technique involves the addition of an extra lining or a retrofitted tyre sealant within, the latter method involves an additional support ring/metallic insert that maintains the tyre’s balance even if there is a puncture.
Things to note about Run Flat tyres
Recent studies have shown that only about 1% of all vehicles in the world use these tyres and by 2020, close to 3% will use them. However, in spite of the Michelin PAX System being no more, RFT tyres are here to stay. Here are some important facts for you:
• Several RFT tyres can manage to run up to 50 miles (80 km) while maintaining a speed of just less than 50 mph (80 km/h.). In this respect, Bridgestone makes an excellent RF model, which is very popular with our MG Auto Motorsport customers.
• In the USA, the Presidential limo has RFT tyres, notably former President Obama’s “The Beast.”
• You do not need to replace your tyre immediately after a blowout if you use RF tyres.
• RF tyres are only useful on vehicles that have the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) system involved. Otherwise, the usage of these tyres is not allowed.
• Many military or security vehicles, including those assigned to war zones, use RF tyres. This is the reason why they were designed in the first place.
Run Flat tyre service at MG Auto Motorsport Ltd in Ripley, Nottinghamshire,
Our team of experts at MG Auto Motorsport in Ripley has the extensive technology for repairing and replacing RF tyres. We also sell quality RF models designed for multiple vehicles. Buy online or directly in store, and we will fit them for you free of charge.
Buy cheap Run-flat tyres in Ripley, Nottinghamshire - MG Auto Motorsport Ltd.